Saturday, March 6, 2010

Breathe, pray, leap

Thomas Wolfe wrote, "you can't go home again." I know there are many who hear this quote and can see it from both sides. As much as I would love to never set foot back into Eastern Tennessee again, it looks like that is where we are headed September 2011.

Michael is unable to re-enlist in the Navy, so he's planning on finishing school in Tennessee and hopefully moving elsewhere. As of right now, I'm still on the fence about Tennessee. There's good and bad points, and in order to appease my Virgo nature, I usually make a list. I'll spare you the boring details of said list but long and short of it is: being near our families is both wonderful, stressful, and maddening all at the same time, raising our children in the country is much more appealing than raising them in the ghetto that is Norfolk, and the cost of living (and surviving) is much, much lower than where we are currently.

From issues with both my family and his, to old ghosts that seem to pop up at the most inopportune times, to just general discontent for our hometown, this is what is ahead of us. We have a laundry list of things to go back for and to, and an equally long list to run far far away, as fast as we can.

I am one of those people who believes that things will work out exactly how they are supposed to and generally, there isn't a damn thing that you can do to change it. And most times, that's fine by me. Times like this though, when the fear and uncertainty keep me up at night, I wish I knew what to at least except, so I could prepare and steel myself. But I've decided that life is nothing but a series of leaps of faith. All you can do is hold hands, hold your breath, close your eyes, pray for the best and hopefully be prepared for everything in between.


Breathe, pray, leap.

No comments:

Post a Comment